Thursday, June 6, 2013

Teaching my Granddaughter to knit



Odessa


I was just visiting my Granddaughter in New Orleans and she informed me she wants to learn to knit.  She will be here for a month in less than 2 weeks, so I've been thinking the best approach to teach her how to knit.  I thought of the old fashion way, of sitting with her quietly, in a subdued setting where she will sit (stand?) still to learn to knit.  Like illustrated in the top picture.

Even though the picture of Odessa looks like she is an angel with wings, I know I'm for certain not the patient, subdued woman in the picture.

Then I ran across this video.  We get a fair amount of people requesting instructions on how to teach very young people to knit. 

This is what Amazon reviews have to say about the video.  "This DVD features a proven method of teaching kids skills that will help them for life. It helps kids to concentrate, increases motor skills, develop hand-eye coordination and it is also a great confidence builder! For ages 5+. Dr. Elizabeth Seward entertains kids with a unique animated story while teaching them to knit and make their own knitting needles. Kids teaching kids-every kid will be inspired watching 7 year old Ryan Anderson as he teaches the basics of knitting. Knitting instructor and producer Marcy Levitas Hamilton teaches the kids how to make fun and easy knitted balls and toys with Stitch-Along instructions. There is also a visit to The Alpaca Ranch to learn how yarn is made."

The video is 90 minutes long, so I'm not sure we will get through it all in one setting, and she may lose interest along the way, but I have two more Granddaughters who I can teach.  I WILL MAKE ONE OF MY GRANDDAUGHTERS KNITTERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment